Skip to main content

The Road Between Grace and Corruption


For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. Now if I do what I do not want, I agree with the law, that it is good. So now it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me. For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out. For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing.Romans 7:15-19

It is our human nature that when something is off limits to us , that is when we want it. The sin in us makes us like a child with their parents, "I wouldn't have crossed the street if you had not told me not to!" So we see that delighting in God's law on the inside and obeying God's law on the outside will remain a source of conflict for the believer in this life. Internally we want to obey God and walk in the way that pleases Him, but externally we go another way. For our sinful nature always desires what is contrary to the Spirit of God and the Spirit contrary to our sinful nature, it remains in constant conflict with each other, so you do not do what you want to do.

The intense realization of the pull of sin, the tension that comes between the desire to do right and the temptation to do wrong is apparent to every believer. At one point or another we all wrestle with the inability to control the powers of sin in our lives. Everyday we wrestle with which way to go, Paul in Romans 7 used this passage as a personal testimony, to explain to every believer the conflict and struggle with sin. Some of us did not even know the things we were doing were wrong, now the word has come and exposed the truth for us. Those things we were so used to doing, that we agree we should no longer do, is what we do and the desire to do what's right is in us, but we don't do it. Righteousness and sin are waging war inside of us,and we sometimes get confused about the person we are.

The fight that goes on inside of us is like this, the sign says to go one way, but our members say no another way. Those two impulses, good and evil are constantly struggling for supremacy over man.I know for most of us that deep in our hearts there is this longing to please God and to do what is right, but then the offensive side of my life comes along and I go down the road I promised not to go down. This kind of struggle in a believer's life does make one want to give up, but hold on my sister and brother because God has given us a deliverer who can save us from ourselves. His name is Jesus, we just have to cry out to Him.

We always turn to Him after we have gone in the wrong direction, but we need to understand our need for Him before taking our daily journey. There is nothing good in our flesh, so we must live in Christ daily. In the life of the believer there will be conflict between grace and corruption in the heart, between the law of God and the law of sin. Who shall deliver us? Jesus Christ is the sufficient one for the job, He has not only purchased our deliverance, but He is our advocate in Heaven as well. Strife is effectually taken up on the believer's behalf by the Holy Spirit and if we would just yield to Him in the midst of every conflict, He will take the victory! "I say then, walk by the Spirit and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh." Galatian 5:16

Comments

  1. ...YES!A Powerfully written view, AMEN!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that for most of my life I have endured this struggle endlessly... I remember as a teenager that everything I did was contrary to what my parents told me to do...Even now at times that inner struggle is almost unbearable...But as I begin to seek Christ and walk in the spirit and allow NIKKI to die daily that inner struggle becomes a little easier day by day...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

UN-DO!

S.E.E.D. For Today: Scripture: "Undo The Heavy Burdens" ( Isaiah 58:6 ) Example: There was a great deal of injustice in the land and with the rich exploiting the poor and the rulers using their authority only to make themselves richer. It was a conflict between truth and lies, just like in our land today. The people of God were no different in operating under the same system as this. But God called them out and wanted them to understand that their fasting was in vain if they did not undo the heavy burden they placed on others while still outwardly devoting themselves to religion or as they thought to God. Exercise: Let's invite the Holy Spirit to solve problems and aid us in lifting loads and overcome barriers that keep us and our loved ones from walking joyfully in the Lord. In self-denying love and care for others, let's undo any heavy burden or untie any yoke that we may have placed upon friends, family, associates or even employees. Devotion: Lord toda...

Bursting Out Of It!

S.E.E.D. For Today:  Scripture: "Is this not the the fast which I have chosen: Loosen the bonds of wickedness." ( Isaiah 58:6 ) Explanation: There should be the right motive when we fast. The people of God in Isaiah observed but there was no change in them. When fasting we do not want to look at it as a religious ritual, but a means to transformation. The fruit of repentance ought to be evident in relationship with one another and our neighbor. If we fast and persist in arrogance, stubbornness, fighting and strife then we are only doing this out of routine. Exercise: Prayer is important to experience the grace and power of God when fasting. Without the consistency of prayer we will not see breakthrough. God is challenging us to do the fast He has chosen, the first means of business is releasing or loosing the bonds of wickedness. Whatever besets itself and entangles you again under the same slave system of missing the mark with God has to let you go. I challenge you ...

MOTIVATE

S.E.E.D. For Today_ Motivate S-cripture Hebrews 10:24 "Let Us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works" NLT The author's exhortation of faith, hope and love elaborates on the greatest of this triad which is love. Love is the greatest way to motivate because it is communal that it reaches out to others. The writer incites the believer that with great enthusiasm we motivate one another to love and to do good works. Example Provoke, encourage, stimulate, push, sharpen, provide the stimulus needed to go forth or not give up. Exercise Today challenge yourself to think of ways to motivate one another, pick up the phone call someone and motivate them to continue in the Lord, motivate someone to forgive and move forward, love and not hate, to be confident in God's Word for their lives. Motivate one another not to let sin deceive them, think of ways to provide the stimulus needed for the individuals you consider to reach. Devotion Lord ...